Saturday, November 19, 2011

How does a doctor feel a uterus for how far pregnant a woman is?

My doctor felt my uterus last night, and said it was the normal size for how far along I am (14 weeks). I was just wondering if doctors can actually tell a difference between 14 weeks and 13 weeks etc. Thanks!|||When I was pregnant with my son who's now 3 years old, my doctor felt my uterus by pressing down on my abdomon with one hand and pressing up inside my vagina. He told me I was about 12 weeks and I even told me where the baby had implanted!!! He drew a picture of what he felt. It looked like a lima bean. I would say their ability to do this is much experience and practice in feeling what a normal, unpregnant uterus feels like in compairsion to a pregnant one. He told me an unpregnant uterus is small, about the size of a peach. but in pregnancy, it gently begins to swell.|||yes they can tell by the size of the uterus how far along you are. they measure by the cm. a uterus that is approx 14 cm long/tall then the pregnancy is approx 14 wks. i say to give or take a week but that is how they do the measurement.|||It's not an exact science. More of an estimate. Ultrasound can be more accurate.|||Yea they pretty much can tell, although it is not exact. they will usually cross check this with an ultra sound. This info along with the date you gave for the last day of your last period and they can give you a great estimate!

No comments:

Post a Comment