Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What type of doctor prescribes reglan for increasing breastmilk?

Would I go to my OBGYN or my regular doctor? Has anyone taken this to increase their breastmilk and been successful?|||My OBGYN prescribed it for me, though this is not to say that your GP wouldn't prescribe it. I had tried to increase my supply by several methods- fenugreek, mother's milk tea, mother's milk tablets, brewer's yeast, drinking plenty of water, oatmeal- and nothing worked. My doc told me that she had taken reglan for all three of her kids and it had worked for her. My milk production more than doubled. I went from ~15oz of milk a day (I was exclusivlely pumping by this time so I knew my output) to ~32 oz of milk/day within 2 days. I even started to freeze my milk and have a nice backup supply. So yes, for me it was successful.



In response to Ellen above. My milk supply has not diminished since I have stopped taken the Rx. The only time I have noticed any decrease is when I am close to my period and when I became sick with a stomach virus. After this sickness I simply took a week's course of the medication and my milk went right back up to where it was and has remained steady. Everyone responds differently, what Ellen stated above may have occurred to these women but it is not set in stone, I am an example of this.|||Reglan has been used for mothers exclusively pumping for preterm babies who are getting extremely low volumes despite frequent pumping and excellent management. Although I have personally know 2 women using it under doctors' care who have used it long term, the general course of treatment is 2 weeks, and milk volume usually decreases as the medication is withdrawn. The side effects are serious, and most doctors do not use it for increasing milk volumes because of that. I know the people who did the original research at Yale New Haven Hospital, and I was used in preliminary studies when my baby was in the NICU there.



There are many other things that can be done if the course of breastfeeding is normal to increase milk volumes. The first is to increase stimulation through more frequent breastfeeding, pumping or both. The next is the use of herbal galactogouges such as fenugreek, Blessed Thistle and Goat's Rue as well as Mother's Milk Tea and oatmeal and making sure your diet and fluids are sufficient. If you are doing all that you can, check Dr. Jack Newman's website for information about another medical gaglatogogue that is more difficult to find, but much safer.|||Either can prescribe it to you if needed.


Before you feel as though your supply is low,you should consider a couple of things first.


Most woman think that their supply is low,when in fact the milk is now adjusting to your baby's needs.In the beginning it overflows because it is not regulating yet.It doesn't know how much the baby will eat and when.Milk is also done on a supply demand basis.The more you empty them,the more milk you will produce.


Try feeding your baby on demand instead of a schedule so you can up the supply.


Stick to simply breastfeeding.If your baby is on solids,then your baby will not produce the milk since it gets filled from another source of food instead.


There are also some natural herbs you can try as well.Make sure you are getting plenty of rest and fluids followed by a healthy diet.





A great website to check out is www.kellymom.com|||Regular doctor.





Never took it, never needed it. Succesfully nursed first baby for 6 months and second for 15 months when she self-weaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment